Little is known of the early years of the first documented ancestor of the Hodgson, Hodgin, or Hodson family that surfaces in Colonial Guilford County, North Carolina. According to several widely circulated stories, he was the only surviving member of a Quaker family that set sail from Ireland or England and was taken captive and/or fell victim to disease en route to America.
Spousal lines include Thatcher, Dicks/Dix, Maddock, Nichols, Stevens.
* * *
George HODGSON was born, according to currently undocumented reports, January 6, 1701/02; he died, 1774, in Guilford County, North Carolina, and is presumed buried in an unmarked plot at Centre Friends burial ground, along with his wife. He married, February 21, 1729, in Old Swedes Church in what is now Wilmington, Delaware, Mary THATCHER (1712-1764), daughter of Jonathan Thatcher and Hannah DICKS. Six known children:
* * *
- John, born August 4, 1731, Chester County, Pennsylvania; died 1804, Guilford County, North Carolina; married May 7, 1754, Mary Mills (ca 1736-1804), daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Harrold) Mills, at New Garden Friends Meeting. Ten children.
- Sarah, born 1733, Chester County, Pennsylvania; died March 31, 1817, Guilford County, North Carolina; married April 22, 1752, John “Ford” Hiatt (1729-1767), son of George (1698-1793) and Martha (Wakefield) Hiatt, under the care of Cane Creek Friends Meeting. Seven children.
- Susannah, born 1735, Chester or Adams County, Pennsylvania; died September 8, 1782, Guilford County, North Carolina. Married 1754 William Hiatt (1734-1834), son of John Hiatt (1696-1764) and Mary (Wilson) Hiatt, at New Garden Friends Meeting. Twelve children.
- George, born 1737, Adams County, Pennsylvania; died 1813, Guilford County, North Carolina (will was probated in February); married, 1764, Rachel OLDHAM or CHRISTY, in a manner contrary to Friends discipline, as recorded in the minutes of New Garden Friends Meeting, Eleventh Month 27. Ten children.
- Robert, born March 11, 1738, in Adams County, Pennsylvania; died April 12, 1813, in Guilford County, North Carolina; married first ca 1760 Rachel Mills (ca 1740-April 24, 1791), daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Harrold) Mills, under the care of New Garden Friends Meeting; married second February 6, 1794, Rachel Mills (December 25, 1756-July 24, 1811), daughter of Hur and Rachel (Harrold) Mills; married third in 1812 Sarah Pierson ( – ), daughter of (?). Sixteen children: thirteen by his first wife and three by his second.
- Joseph, born 1740 in Adams County, Pennsylvania; died 1829, Randolph County, North Carolina; married first September 30, 1760, Margaret Williams (ca 1741-1797), daughter of (?); married second January 6, 1802, Hannah Johnson (December 16, 1765- ), daughter of Tarlton and Hannah (Mills) Johnson. Fifteen children.
* * *
Continue reading Generation five: George and Mary Thatcher Hodgson →